Monday, October 19, 2009

Making your linux desktop more useful (and prettier)

Here is a list of things that I implemented in my Linux desktop manager (Gnome), and made it more productive and also prettier. By prettier I mean looking more like Mac OS X. So in fact this guide gives suggestions to make your linux desktop become more like Mac OS X.

Disclaimer: Some of the suggestions are suited for Gnome, which is the desktop manager that I use. My distro is Ubuntu.Why do I pick Gnome? Well, because I don't like KDE and because Gnome looks more like Mac OS X.

First of all, you need Compiz to turn on pretty 3D effects. And in order to have compiz working you need decent drivers for your video board, with support for 3D acceleration. I suggest to install the package compizconfig-settings-manager which provides a nice interface for changing the settings of the different compiz plugins.

The compiz plugins that I find most useful are:
I like Mac's Dock, and I have something very similar to that in linux with the application AWN Manager.

Google Desktop for linux is a fantastic desktop search tool. It allows me to open the papers and documents I want incredibly fast, without needing to browse any folder. Just need to press CTRL twice and type the relevant keywords. It is the analogous of Mac's Spotlight.

For quickly opening applications, try Gnome-Do. It is the equivalent of Mac's Quicksilver. Again, no need to browse menus for the application you need. Just call gnome-do and type in the few beginning letters in the name of the program you want to launch.

For to-do lists and reminders, try the Sticky Notes applet that comes built-in with Gnome.

Any other suggestions? Feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page