Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Recovering deleted pictures from a memory card

A friend of mine recently deleted by accident around 700 pictures from a memory card in her Sony digital camera. She asked for my help and I thought that it would be an easy task to recover the pictures. I played with different programs aimed at data recovery, some of them tuned specifically for photo recovery. Here is a description of the different programs that I used and the results.

I've got several suggestions from colleagues of recovery software to try in linux and windows. I also found that this list of free data recovery programs at lifehacker was very useful.

This tutorial assumes that the memory card is formatted with the filesystem FAT16 (default filesystem in memory cards). The first thing you need to avoid is to write any data to the device where the deleted files were stored.

You should create an image of the device as soon as possible, in case anything goes wrong. In Linux that is pretty easy. Assuming that the memory card is mounted as /dev/sdb1, you need to issue the command
sudo dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=backupcard.img

I tried the following free software (ordered according to my taste): Recuva (win), recoverjpeg (linux/mac) and PhotoRec (win/linux/mac) (recoverjpeg and PhotoRec are available in Ubuntu via Synaptic). I also tried the commercial alternatives Stellar Phoenix Recovery (win) and Nucleus Kernel FAT (win). The latter two programs gave the same results as the three free programs listed above, so no need to pay for them.

The first program I tried was Recuva. It immediately recovered all the deleted files. Unfortunately most of the recovered pictures were corrupted or broken. By corrupted I mean that the pictures have one or more of the following "features":
  • Pictures split in two or more parts
  • In between a picture there is part of another photo
  • Colors changed
I would say that only 1/7 of the deleted pictures were successfully restored, and the rest had the problems specified above. I tried to fix these problems using JPEG Recovery (win), which allegedly would fix the corrupted pictures but got no success.

recoverjpeg gave the same results as Recuva: restored all the photos, but only ~1/7 of the original files were successfully recovered with no problems.

PhotoRec only recovered the ~1/7 pictures that had no problems, ignoring the other corrupted files.

My conclusion: if you use windows try Recuva. If you are a Linux user, try recoverjpeg. And please check this list of Five best free data recovery tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page